Traditionally, Manufacturing Companies have been an important Customer segment for TechGyan. Some of our Manufacturing Customers are listed here https://820.0dd.myftpupload.com/customers/
We offer a fairly comprehensive Solution set for Manufacturing Industry. Let us examine the different components of the Solution set:
When we look at a Manufacturing Company, we see certain patterns:
Head Office : This is typically located in a Metro city like Mumbai.
Branch Offices : There are multiple branch offices which constantly exchange information with the Head Office.
Factories : The factories are generally located in interior areas
Depots : There are multiple storage depots located in many parts of the country.
Roaming Users: There would be a host of users who would be roaming either between offices or at customer sites. These users are not really tied to any office.
In terms of Business needs , there will be an Accounting cum ERP system running on a local On Premise Server at the Head Office. The branches and factories would be connected to this server. There would be a Central file server at HO which will host documents . However, more often than not, these would not be directly available to users outside the HO.
Usual concerns and gaps:
- Business Continuity : The Server running at the HO does not have Business Continuity built in. In case of a major issue , be it Fire, or something else , if the Server goes down, the ERP goes down.
- There is a frequent downtime of Data links between the branches and HO. And when the link goes down, the Business stops.
- Inadequate Data backup Policy : The ERP data at the server would have a backup policy of daily or weekly backup. However, if the location itself becomes unavailable due to any reason like a Malware attack or Fire ; the data backup is also lost as rarely will there be data backup which would be stored off site.
- In terms of regulatory compliance, data needs to be stored for a certain period, usually 7 to 10 years. But this is rarely done due to high cost of storage and space which is usually at a premium at the HO.
- If a new branch or an office is getting setup , and they need to setup a new file server , its always a challenge to get the data on this new file server to be same as that on the other file servers in the Corporate network
- The HO usually has an IT Team which monitors the Security patches for applications . But outside of HO , more often than not the devices are not patched and applications are open to malware attack.
- The IT Team in the HO has no visibility of the user devices especially those outside of HO. So if users are for example , not updating their Anti Virus, such critical information is not available to the IT at the HO.
- For people on the move, there is always a danger of losing device and losing critical corporate data as the data is accessible to anyone who finds the device.
- For mobile users, another area of concern is that if they lose their laptop, they also lose expensive software licenses .
- The Mobile users are also not part of Corporate Active Directory .This creates security concerns in the area of Identity Management.
- Users create their data in their My Documents which are never backed up by the IT .So there is always a possibility of losing this data in case of disk crash or Malware attack or if device is stolen.
- Communication between users in different locations is either on Email or on WhatsApp. Email for basic communication is very inefficient and WhatsApp for Corporate communication is non compliant.
- Collaboration between Teams and within Teams is almost absent.
- Document workflow and approval is only via Email . Again this is very inefficient.
- Task Management is also via Email. Needless to say , there are more misses than hits in using Email for Task Management.
- While the ERP sits at the HO, the business intelligence in form of Dash boards and Mobile Apps is lacking leading to delayed Decision making.
- The Corporate content in form of various documents is scattered across the whole organization among multiple servers and PCs. Inefficient and non Compliant.
While we have listed a few usual gaps based on the interactions we have had with many Manufacturing Customers, we believe there will be more. But we do have Solutions in the above listed areas.